Thursday, August 12, 2010

Mountain Top Experience II


The next year, after climbing Crestone Peak, I got the opportunity to climb Mt. Elbert.  I had never heard of Mt. Elbert, so I did some research.  Imagine my surprise when I found out that Mt. Elbert was the HIGHEST mountain in Colorado. . . standing at 14,443 Feet.

What an incredible Mountain!

On the day of our summit attempt, we started early, just like we did on Crestone.  As the team started the climb, I began to slowly drift further and further behind.  By the time we cleared the timber line, I knew I was in trouble and probably wouldn't make it to the top.  Actually, that was fine with me.  I was tired and decided that I would just stop and rest, perhaps take a nap, and then join the group as they came down the mountain.

I was just relaxing and starting to doze off, when I heard a noise above me.  When I opened my eyes, there was one of the young men on the trip, Tracy.  He said "What are you doing?"  I told him that I was going to stay here, and he should go on.  He climbed down from where he was and told me that since I wasn't going to the top, he wasn't going to the top.  I argued with him for a while, but soon saw that he was serious. . . so I got up and started walking with him.

The angle of ascent for us had some surprises.  In fact, about a half dozen "False Summits".  A False summit is when you see a valley, and a rise, and what appears to be the top of the mountain.  Only when you get to that "top", you discover there is another valley, rise, and "top" ahead of you.  After you have done this two or three times, it really starts to play with you head.

After clearing the false summits, and finally seeing the REAL summit ahead, I simply ran out of gas.  I was totally exhausted and literally could not pick my feet up.  I laid down and Tracy again said, "What are you doing?  The top is just right there!  Come on. . . let's go!"

I looked up at Tracy and told him that not only would I not make it to the top, but that I was pretty sure I wouldn't make it down either.  I was TOTALLY spent.  I then told him that if he wanted to make it to the top. . he better go now. (No. . .I didn't think I was going to die, I just thought I would end up spending the night on the mountain top.)

With tears in his eyes, Tracy walked the rest of the way up to the mountain.  As I watched him go, I saw how his shoulders were slumped, and how he was genuinely disappointed that I wasn't going to make it to the top.

Shortly after he got to the top, I saw him coming back, with about six other guys from our Youth Group.  When they got to me, one of the young men said "What's going on?"  I told him I was spent, that not only would I not make it to the top, but I might not even make it back to our campsite that night.  I was literally as exhausted as I have ever been.

With that revelation, the young men looked at each other, and did the most amazing thing.  They picked me up and carried me to the top!  Now remember, we were above 14,000 feet!  There was very little oxygen in the air, and here these guys were carrying me!  (Mind you, I wasn't as heavy then as I am now. . .but it was still a job.)

When we got to the top, several of us hugged, and cried, and basked in what had just happened!  It was amazing!  And one of the most humbling experiences of my life.

Long story short, several of the guys, and our guide, walked me down the mountain and the closer we got to camp. . the better I began to feel.  (Incidently, I went back years later with my wife and oldest daughter, and we climbed that mountain again. . together.)

So what did I learn?

First, I would have never made it to the top without Tracy.  He was a young man, but he pushed, prodded, and encouraged me almost from the start of that days climb to make it.  I have thought of him often, and know without a doubt that I would have never made it without HIS HELP!

Second, I learned the power of a group.  Those young men that Tracy brought back made absolutely certain that I was going to make it to the top. . . even if it meant carrying me there!  That group made sure that I made it!

Finally, I learned that I would NOT have made it to the top if I had allowed my pride to get in the way.  Lot's of times people offer to help, and because of our pride. . . we don't let them.  And we miss out on the Mountain top!

Sometimes, we need to be Tracy.  We need to be willing to do all we can do to help those around us.  We need to push, prod, and encourage those who don't think they can make the journey.

Sometimes, we need to be the group.  Because sometimes it just takes more than one to make it on the journey.  And the power that the group offers, often allows us to do things that are incredibly difficult.

And sometimes, we need to swallow our pride and let people help.  That is hard to do, but when we do. .  the Mountain top awaits!

What's keeping you from the Mountain Top?

See you on the road!
STEVE

No comments:

Post a Comment