Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Mountain Top Experience!



Many years ago, I went on a “Wilderness Trek” in Colorado.  I have to tell you, it was one of the most spiritually enriching things I have ever been involved in.  It was truly an amazing experience.
We ended up climbing a mountain in Colorado that was 14,294 feet to the summit.  Crestone Peak is the 7th highest mountain in Colorado, and one that offers an incredible view from the top!  And the view along the way was nothing short of breathtaking.  From the very first camp, until the top of the mountain, the scenery and the view were something that I will never, ever forget.
On the morning of the summit attempt, I was awakened by our guide, walking around the camp waking everyone up with a loud “Wakey Wakey!”  As I rolled out of my sleeping bag (literally since we were on the side of the mountain), I remembered thinking “Are we climbing this mountain in the dark?” (It was still pitch black outside.)
This was the beginning of a long long day, and certainly was not the first rude awakening of the day.
We were camped just below “timber line” which is right at 12,000 feet.  Do you know why the call it Timber line?  Because at that point, the trees, and even grass, doesn’t grow.  Do you know why?  Because the air is too thin.  I didn’t know this fact either that morning, but I was soon to find out.
As we started the journey, it was very interesting.  I walked across a patch of ice that was larger than the size of a football field.  However, this football field was on a MAJOR INCLINE. . .and some of our party slid down the patch more than once.
After we got through the ice floe, then. . . .the steepness of the journey increased in a drastic way.  Very quickly, the teens and younger folks in our group moved ahead of me. . .and I found myself alone.  I kept climbing.
Quickly, I noticed the lack of oxygen.  In fact, it got so bad, that I would walk for a minute, and stop and rest for a minute. . . or two. .  .or five.  I was constantly out of breath.
As the climb got steeper, and the air got thinner, my resolve to make it to the top began to shrink. . . as quickly as some of my friends had slid down the ice earlier.
That is when ONE VERSE from the New Testament really sprung out at me.  Here it is;
“I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.”  Philippians 4:13
I bet a quoted that verse a thousand times that day.  I would stop and huff and puff, quote the verse, say a prayer, and move on.  I climbed, cried, rested, and climbed some more.
And found the strength to make it to the top!
When I got there, I did not expect what happened next.  There at the top were several of my party who obviously had beat me to the top.  And what happened next was amazing!
As I came over the top, they started applauding!  Then, they rushed forward and hugged me!  I was totally enveloped in love and approval!
I felt FANTASTIC!
I had never had a “Mountain Top Experience” . . . on a MOUNTAIN TOP before!
They sang, they prayed, they hugged!  And I felt wonderful!
Imagine what it would be like to have that kind of reception after you had just climbed hand over fist to the top of your last mountain?  Just think about how you would have felt, if someone had hugged, prayed with, and sang to you, as you rose over the top of your last “difficult climb”.
You know. . .that is EXACTLY what we are here to do!  To encourage, cheer, and praise those who have gone through a difficult journey, and have come out on the other end.
Are you one of those people who cheers and encourages others along the roadway of life?  You can be.  Just decide that is what you are going to do. . .and then. . . .JUST DO IT!
After that terrible climb, I could have cheer all alone.  But the victory was 100% better with other who knew what I had just overcome, and were willing to wait for me, and cheer me on!
What about you?
See you on the Road!
STEVE

2 comments:

  1. Dear Blog d00d,
    thanks for changing the format over so people with my disadvantage can still participate in your "cult-like" following. I like the pretty pictures, they make me smile and think of licorise whips & moxie soda. if there wuz an earth quake and the summit was relocated to the revien below (while you wuz standing thar) would your "mountain-top" experience be renamed to something more down-in-the-valley...so to speak.
    Me, Oliver & Stanley pray for you and yers daily (when we remember to) and even in the night time when the lights are off coz we sleepin....even then. keep up the good work and please send me $1.00 for saying such nice things about you.
    love,
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was there. MASH T-shirt included.

    ReplyDelete