Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Out of Power. . . .

Once, while driving between Muskogee Oklahoma and Fort Smith Arkansas, my car just stopped.  No power, no nothing!  I tried to start the car, but no click, not engine turn over, no nothing.

Then, as if that wasn't enough. . . NO CELL PHONE SERVICE!

What made this even worse, was I was on a deserted stretch of the Turnpike, early on Sunday morning. . . on my way to speak at a Church.  I was all dressed up in my suit, had my lesson all prepared, and was out of power. . . TOTALLY!

What an adventure!

I know on your journey through life, you have no doubt had those episodes where everything in your life, and perhaps even you yourself, felt powerless.  It sure is a lost, frustrating, and almost hopeless feeling.

What to do, what to do?

On this particular occasion, when the car just stopped, I coasted down a hill.  So, I decided that maybe if I walked up the hill, I could get a cell signal, or perhaps see a house in the distance.  So uphill I walked. . . to find NOTHING as far as I could see.

I took out my phone, and alas. . . a spotty signal.  I tried calling the church I was going to speak at, but kept getting cut off.  It was crazy.

After several minutes of trying, and no cars coming in either direction. . . I decided to walk back to the car and wait.  As I was walking back, I know I was a sight.  Walking along a deserted stretch of road, just as the sun has come up, with nothing or no one in sight. . . dressed in my finest suit!  Talk about overdressed for the situation.

Just before I got back to my car, I heard the sound of traffic behind me, and turned around in time to see a LARGE CONVOY of U.S. National Guardsmen bearing down on me.  No doubt, they thought I was a strange sight too. . . so they stopped.

When I explained that my rented car just stopped for no reason, they called back to someone in the convoy whose regular job was a Service Repairman for the very model I was driving.  He came, asked me what happened, and promptly raised the hood and fixed the problem.  ( A loose connection on a wire! )  With that, they whisked away, and shortly thereafter, I was on my way too. . . albeit late.

The truth is, when we are battling with feelings of "powerlessness", the fact is. . . we just may be disconnected from THE Power source.


Hallelujah! 
Praise God in His sanctuary. 
Praise Him in His mighty heavens. 
2 Praise Him for His powerful acts; 
praise Him for His abundant greatness. 
Psalms 150:1-2
Lot's of times, when my "power" is running low, and things seem to spin out of control, I have found that I have just forgotten that God is in His Sanctuary and He has the power.  God really is our power source.  .  . and He is THE Power Source.


Right now in the world, there is lot's of turmoil and we often feel out of control.  There are lot's of people, politicians, pundits, and advisors that would like to make you think they have the answers, and if you just follow them. . . everything will be alright.  Just remember who really IS in control.  Remember who is in His Sanctuary and Praise Him!  

Jesus said it best in Matthew 28:18-20.  He said "All authority has been given to me in Heaven and on Earth."  (In other words. . . HE has the power!)  He reminds us that even when things seem out of control. . . He is in control.  He is THE control. 

And he reminds us at the end of that text, "And lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the world."

That power source, who is in charge and in control, has promised us that we are not alone.  He is always with us.  He will see us through, and make sure that we are in His care.

So. . . if you are feeling powerless.  If the "speed bumps" of the journey are frustrating you and you can't seem to get control.  Remember who the power source is.  If you aren't feeling His power. . . perhaps you have just become disconnected.

Reconnect to the Power Source!

See you on the Road.
STEVE

2 comments:

  1. Steve,
    Thanks so much for these little "pick me ups".. It is almost like being at the Grand Coastal and listening to your stories over dinner! Please keep writing and telling stories..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Shirley. . . I plan on doing something on a daily basis.
    We will see how it goes!

    Thanks so much for the encouragement! ! ! !

    STEVE

    ReplyDelete